ALUMNI ASSOCIATION NEWS
A group met today with the goal of reactivating the Alumni Association that was started some time back by Kevin Nolan. Initially a group met at the Science/Math Academy and organizational ideas were discussed. The group stopped meeting but the seeds had been planted.
Nothing is “etched in stone” but the current goals revolve around creating a sense of community among our alumni while actively supporting District 41 and its students. It was agreed that this goal should be pursued with as much spirit and fun as possible.
Many worthwhile support groups exist in District 41. There are a great many things that could be done to better support the District. Many alumni would gladly volunteer to do something supportive, but don’t know what needs exist or how to go about it. We also believe that alumni/friends would benefit greatly in spirit by engaging in supportive activities. Hopefully the Alumni Association can bridge this gap between existing needs and supportive activities.
Right now the Alumni Association is loosely organized. Anyone who wants to participate is welcome. Currently we don’t solicit funds on our behalf as there are several existing groups that do an outstanding job of that already. In some respects, the current Alumni Association serves as a “guidepost” directing potential contributors to the Booster Club, the Educational Foundation, RIMA, or Development. See the above pull down menu for more information on these groups. Contributions to these groups are tax deductible and we can’t think of any worthwhile endeavor that they don’t already support. We seek to avoid duplicity and want to promote cooperation as much as possible. The Alumni Association intends to work in unison and not infringe upon existing groups.
CURRENT AND POSSIBLE FUTURE ACTIVITIES
* Promotion/support and clearing house for class reunions
* Promotion and maintenance of the Booster Club Brick Project in front of the Field House.
* Organization and promotion of an Alumni Homecoming….this is in the very early planning stages. This might create some excitement and serve as a catalyst for some classes to start their own reunions. Former teachers/coaches could be invited to return and perhaps have a tailgate and/or post game gathering. It was agreed that the old post football/basketball games gatherings were greatly missed.
* Alumni/Friends recognition for the newly reconstituted Hall of Fame. Many alums don’t know that there is a nomination process to honor alums for their accomplishments. Currently the Educational Foundation handles this.
* Alumni profiles that contain success stories of graduates who could inspire current students
* Halls of Fame…the athletic version has pretty much been updated, but nothing exists to honor Fine Arts. In addition to the above Hall of Fame is there any interest in establishing a Post High School Athletic Hall of Fame for those who have achieved successes after leaving “The Rock.”
We need people to become involved. Don’t be afraid to make new suggestions or voice opinions. Attend future meetings or at the very least, stay connected. Watch for notices on the various online venues. GO ROCKS!